Marquette’s Lower Harbor Ore Dock, once a cornerstone of the regional economy, was constructed in 1931-1932 for the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic Railroad at a cost of $1.32 million. Iron extracted from mines in western Marquette County was transported via rail to the top of the dock, emptied into the structure’s pocket chutes and loaded onto vessels docked below. From the dock’s first day of service on June 3, 1932 until its closure in 1971, nearly 24 million tons of ore left Marquette through the Lower Harbor.
In the decades since its closure, the dock has been a source of great interest and inspiration for the community. During the summer of 2014, and at the request of the City, GEI Consultants conducted an in-depth analysis of the structure and condition of the Lower Harbor Ore Dock, which is 970 feet long and is constructed largely of concrete and steel.
Below, please find a video produced by GEI, as well as a copy of the full GEI report, dated Dec. 11, 2014 and presented to the Marquette City Commission on Dec. 15, 2014.
Additionally, there is a copy of the Great Lakes bottomlands use agreement between the City of Marquette and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality.