City of Marquette 2016 Election Cycle
The City of Marquette, in accordance with the City Charter and State Law, conducts elections annually to determine who City Commissioners and members of the Board of Light and Power will be. There are seven members of the City Commission and there are five members of the Board of Light and Power. The Charter states and State Law requirements include:
- City (regular) elections shall be held each year on the first Tuesday following the first Monday in November. Primary elections will be held each year, if required, on the first Tuesday following the first Monday in August.
- Each City Commissioner and each Board of Light and Power member shall be elected for a term of three (3) years. Three Commissioners shall be elected every third year and two Commissioners in each of the two (2) intervening years. Two Board of Light and Power members are elected every two (2) years and one member is elected in the intervening year.
- If upon the expiration of the time for filing nominating petitions for any elective City office, petitions have been filed for no more than twice the number of candidates for the office to be elected at the following regular City election, then no primary election shall be held for one or more offices.
- If, however, there are more than twice the number of candidates for an office then a primary election shall be held for such office.
- All candidates for City elective office shall be nominated by petition. A supply of official petition forms shall be provided and maintained by the Clerk. For the 2016 election cycle nominating petitions and related forms are to be filed at the Clerk’s office by April 19, 2016, at 4:00 p.m.
- City elective offices in the City of Marquette are non-partisan.
- Eligibility requirements for elective offices in the City of Marquette are established in the City Charter, Chapter Six.
Special, Primary, and General Election Notices
- PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY: Tuesday, March 8, 2016
- PRIMARY: Tuesday, August 2, 2016
- GENERAL: Tuesday, November 8, 2016
- CITY OF MARQUETTE POLLING PLACES FOR THIS ELECTION ARE AS FOLLOWS:
PRECINCTS 1 & 2: BARAGA GYM AT CITY HALL
PRECINCTS 3 , 4 & 5: MARQUETTE ARMORY
PRECINCTS 6 & 7: YMCA
MCL 168.720 Section 720: On the day of any election, the polls shall be opened at 7 o'clock in the forenoon, and shall be continuously open until 8 o'clock in the afternoon and no longer. Every qualified elector present and in line at the polls at the hour prescribed for the closing thereof shall be allowed to vote.